Sunday, July 14, 2013

My New Toy

So, I didn't have the chance to write..At all, so much has change since the last time I wrote here that even though all I've seen is just one post, it's still really long ago.

Few things (unrelated)
1. I got married
2. I had to give my 1001PX to my brother because he needed a laptop for work on the road and didn't have the money to buy one for his own (ME TO THE RESCUE!!!)
3. I got myself a chromebook.. Yes! a Samsung Chromebook!!!

So that's what I am changing the main blog cause.. My Adventures with the Chromebook... I know many people haven't had the chance to work with a Chromebook, and even more are afraid of it.. Because it's new, it's different and - to tell the truth - it's NOT for everyone (unlike what is written on the Chromebook's pretty box :P), the OS is still at it's baby steps, but like a very smart baby, it shows promise..

So, before I got myself this Chromebook, I firstly asked myself "What do I need a netbook for, what am I going to do with a laptop or with any machine I'll buy? And how much am I going to spend on my needs?"Amazingly, the answer didn't come easily! I love playing games, but since I am a student, probably a gaming machine isn't the best option for me..Nor for my future (Financially and  professionally).. So buying an awesome gaming rig was not an option.. Next, I needed a netbook which I will be able to surf easily, will work fast, will be able to write and open docs,mails, excel...Office in short...So Mac (also due to financial reasons) wasn't an option for me...

To tell the truth.. I didn't know much about the chromebook nor the ChromeOS, but I came across it (Amazingly) At the Google+ official Chromebook community page..Then I began googlig it online...And the more I learned about it, the more interested I became..

Samsung Chromebook after first Sign in
I reconsidered my options...Buying a fully functional netbook would cost me quite a lot (relatively) and for my needs it would be a waste of money... I need online access, and I need long lasting battery and quick boot (The quick boot wasn't a "must" but now that I have it, it's soooo nice :P), and stability.. And of course the first thing that caught my attention was the Chromebook price...Hey, it's a full netbook for just 250$ (I think it's 80$ more for the Verizon 3G version).. So, after long consideration...And a lot of learning about it from people who own a Chromebook and the people who hate Chromebooks, I actually decided to buy myself one... And I have to say, I am very pleased, though it's not all 100% perfect.

I will keep you guys posted (for those of you who read) about my first week with the Chromebook.. It's definitely something I need getting used to, and it's a big change, specially since all my life I only been using Microsoft products (Windows, Office, etc) And only been using android devices for the last 4 years (But I am a full Google user...Gmail, contacts, Google Calendar..I use it all, another thing that attracted my to the Chromebook, but I'll get to that later)

So, that's all for now guys,
wish me luck on my new road :)
   

3 comments:

  1. You're going to love your Chromebook. Ex Apple Geek here. Had a MacBook Pro, iPad 2, and iPhone 5. Am in the process of selling all three. Have fully adopted the Google lifestyle. I've been playing with a Nexus 7 for nearly a year now and never touch my iPad anymore. I'm typing to you now on my Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook. It does everything I need. Is lightweight, long battery life, and yes, I do love that quick boot time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started with the same Samsung Chromebook, I loved it (and Chrome OS) so much I purchased the Pixel (after selling many personal items on ebay in order to fund said purchase). My husband's computer recently took a turn for the worse, so I set him up with a Google account, gave him the Samsung Chromebook and he hasn't missed his Windows machine at all.

    I will say that switching to a Chromebook was not without any issues: Chrome OS is different and there is some adjusting to be done (using Google Docs instead of MS Word or LibreOffice) but overall it was a positive experience. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading about your journey! Happy Googlehead here! I still have my 17 inch HP Windows machine, but I mainly use that for my business in my office. I purchased my Acer Chromebook last week for when I am I am out and about (easier on my back!)I am 100% happy with my purchase to the point its slowly but surely becoming my driver! Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your Chromebook journey blog!

    ReplyDelete